28 May 2007

Go the mighty maroons!

Thank god for Mininova, thanks to that site I finally got my hands on the telecast of State Of Origin 2007 Game 1! It was torture not being able to watch the game live, which was taking place from 4am local time. Leading up to the game I was desperately searching the web for any way I could watch the match, and I learnt a few new things, like a program called SopCast which lets you stream live TV over the net. Network 10 Australia was one of the channels on SopCast, which was exciting in itself, watching it live from the US was so cool, even if it was only the crappy daytime screening of Dr Phil. Todd was walking past behind me when some ads came on, an Aussie girl was talking in an Optus ad and he just loved the accent.

But, Channel 10 is not Channel 9 where Origin would be exclusively played. By this time I was cursing up a storm and it was getting late, I had to give up. The deadline came and went, and I was asleep while the drama played out. Next day I was avoiding headlines and madly searching for a torrent or some video of the match, and suffering mild depression. I got an email from my friend Lisa, the short description in the email said "Hey Jason, Thanks for the emails. I have been great. Just got home from watching State of Origin...". Apologies to Lisa, but her email remained unread in the inbox. Later that day, Mum sent an email about Nikki Turner's new baby Elijah, so of course I read it. NOOO! I shut my eyes and turned away, but it was too late! Amidst baby photos, from mum who never cares much for State Of Origin, she spilled the beans with the words 'Go the Maroons!' It was insidious, I could have cried. I didn't though, coz at least we had won!

Couple days later, after I had gone back to read Lisa's email where she too went into full details, I found the telecast on good ol Mininova. After a playback drama, had it crankin on my laptop, speakers full volume, and the atmosphere of the 50 000 strong crowd at Suncorp Stadium filled Todd's little home in Norman, Oklahoma. And the surrounding neighbourhood. I was so happy, elation, my considerable efforts to get it had finally paid off. The funniest part about the telecast was how, when QLD was down by a 12 point defecit after NSW scored a try right on half-time, was hearing the pro-NSW commentary worry about QLD's comeback ability. Half-time wouldn't have been fun for a QLD supporter, but it was for me, half-time was edited out, so switch to the second movie and straight back to the action.

I was watching this in the early evening, and a bunch of people were coming over to our place to watch the UFC fight we had paid for that evening (Ultimate Fighting Championship). Chris, Adam and Todd were amazed at the full-contact nature of the sport with lack of protective wear on the players, since they are used to American Footballers that are padded head to toe. They might even be interested in watching game 2, and I'm determined to get them to watch it with me. QLD came to a triumphant comeback victory over NSW with a good variety of play that had me going flat out to explain the rules and tactics to the boys. Their questions were funny, coming from American Football, where you are allowed to tackle someone without the ball, you're allowed to obstruct the defense, you're allowed to throw it forward. NRL is very different.

So, the commentary mentioned how it was being broadcast on delay through Fox Sports in the US! I don't know what that delay is, I had looked for it but didn't find it, I'm hoping it plays for all of the US and not just some states. I'll be on the look out for game 2 gotta watch that one properly can't have it ruined for me. It's scary, watching the telecast, after hearing so much American talk, I noticed our accent, even though I haven't lost any of my accent, the only oz voices I hear regularly are my own and my parent's. I'm gonna watch more of Channel 10! ;)

Showing the sport to the boys, hearing them shout 'ooowh that's a big hit' on the big tackles and getting amazed & enthusiastic about the game, makes me think yet again; it's great to be Australian, and even better to be a Queenslander. GO THE MIGHTY MAROONS!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey Jase, you might want to check out a Bigpond website called "Bigpondsport.com" I got a brochure on it in the mail and it says you can access all the NRL games as well as car racing and AFL also. You might find what you want in there.
Dad :)